We have determined that it is time to cancel MAC 2020 now
The decision was not an easy one after so much preparation; and, realizing that many of you have already purchased plane tickets or otherwise took steps in preparation for the MAC. We considered every available angle and, at the end, the decision to cancel for now was the only viable option.
The overriding consideration was that there is too much uncertainty to allow any of us (participants, presenters and team members) to continue planning with any confidence. The fact that registrations had essentially stopped is an indicator. Additionally, many experts are saying this virus will go on well into the summer; Graymoor has shut down with no clear idea when to again open; the keynote, Nancy Sylvester agrees; due to the virus, many international Affiliates are unable to get an interview for their visas; airline ticket availability is uncertain, etc. etc. As one MAC team member (Celine Woznica) wrote, “...even if the pandemic would be on the decrease by June, they (her Chapter) would be hesitant to fly. Most of them are in their 70s and 80s and would be concerned about some residual chance of infection.”
Two important considerations:
- We will set a new date for the MAC - most probably in 2021 – once there is enough certainty to do so.
- Reimbursements for those who’ve already paid are being worked out. I don’t yet have a date for when the checks will go out.
Thank you and please starting thinking of MAC 2021.