Maryknoll Contemplative Retreat Mwanza, Tanzania (July 22-29, 2019)
There are two remaining spots for Affiliates who would like to participate in this retreat. If interested, contact Bob Short ASAP & before Christmas. The Affiliate Board has offered to provide a stiped to help defray the cost of air travel.
[You’ll see below that this retreat entails significant time in meditative silence.]
Mission Vision (Jim Elbe MM)
RATIONALE: The challenges of living and working in a globalized world of climate change, inequality in all its forms, ethnic conflict, racism, reactionary nationalism, religious fundamentalism, terrorism, and poverty create an environment that demands a more contemplative approach for Maryknoll Missioners.
- VISION: To foster a more contemplative way of being Maryknoll Missioners that would empower us to be Contemplatives in Action in our broken world.
III. MISSION: To create a Maryknoll culture of Contemplative Mission through a Contemplative Intensive Retreat.
- GOALS TO IMPLEMENT OUR MISSION VISION
- To have an Intensive Meditation Retreat (6hrs. sitting meditation a day except for the first day when we will have a combination of talks and meditation).
- To invite all entities of the Maryknoll Family: Congregation, Society, Lay Missioners and Affiliates (14 participants in all)
- To invite Fr. Alfonso Kim, MM to lead this retreat. (He has already agreed)
- To structure the retreat in such a way that it will foster a contemplative way of being in Mission by:
- Setting the context for a retreat in Africa by having speakers from the African experience on the first day.
- Six hours a day of silent meditation
- Daily evening conversations on the differing realities of fostering a culture of Contemplation throughout the Maryknoll World.
- Dates of the Retreat: 22-29 July 2019; arrive 21 July; depart 30 July
- The Lake House of Prayer will provide for the following:
-Plane ticket, room and board, stipend for Fr. Kim
-Room and board for all participants
- We are asking the Maryknoll Leadership for the following:
-help with providing funds for plane tickets to and from Africa for their respective participants
-help with surfacing names from the differing entities of Maryknoll of people for a retreat such as this. There will be a vetting process to help determine a person’s ability to enter this retreat.
Fr. Jim suggest you use the following criteria when choosing who would be coming to the retreat:
- That they have a daily meditation practice.
- That they have had some experience on Meditation/Contemplative Retreats; at least as much experience that could handle 4hrs a day of sitting meditation.
- That they would be willing to share their experience with others in the hopes of creating a more Contemplative-Action posture of Mission.
[“SS” means Silent Sitting. There is ample time for breaks to walk (to Lake Victoria), rest, tea/coffee, private reflection, etc. The first day we will have one or two African speakers to help set the context for the retreat.]
7:30-8:00 Morning Prayer
9:30-11:30 Guest Speaker
2-4pm Guest Speaker
8:00-8:20 Evening Prayer
6:00 ~ 6:20 SS 1
6:30 ~ 7:10 SS 2
7:30 ~ 8:00 Morning Prayer
10:30 ~ 11:10 SS 3
11:30 ~ Mass
3:30 ~ 4:00 SS 4
4:10 ~ 4:40 SS 5
4:50 ~ 5:30 SS 6
5:40 ~ 6:00 SS 7
8:00 ~ 8:20 Evening Prayer
8:30 ~ Sharing (Brief)
: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in