Maryknoll Mission Immersion
Texas Rio Grande Valley – April 16- April 22, 2018
Are you trying to better understand the realities facing today's immigrants and refugees? If so, Maryknoll's Spring Immersion trip to the Rio Grande Valley may be the answer. This week long immersion experience led by Matt Rousso and Fr. Gerry Kelly, M.M. will put you in touch with the human faces behind the immigration debate and provide you with opportunities to appreciate their struggles, listen to their voices, and understand their daily realities.
Immersion Trip includes
A home base on the grounds of the Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle, San Juan , TX
- Pre-trip orientation at the Museum of South Texas History, Edinburg
- Interactions with arriving immigrants at the RESPITE Center, McAllen and participants at the ARISE Center, Alamo
- Volunteer work at La Posada Providencia in San Benito, a shelter for refugees from countries such as Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Cuba and Honduras
- Time for personal prayer, daily communal morning prayer, evening theological reflections and the opportunity to celebrate the Eucharist together
- A look at the ministries of St. Teresa Church in San Benito and St. Anne Church in Penitas - and other programs with recent immigrants.
- Getting to know the Maryknoll Sisters and the parishioners of St. Anne Parish, Penitas with whom they work
- Post-trip debriefing and reflection, including how to incorporate the experience into your ministry
Estimated costs and travel particulars
- Participants manage their own travel arrangements (air, car etc.) to arrive at the Basilica Hotel, 400 N Virgen de San Juan Blvd, San Juan, TX 78589 by 3 p.m. on April 16th, 2018.
- Program cost is $500 which includes accommodations at the Basilica Hotel, meals, and local transportation. N.B. Program costs do not include personal travel fees
- Participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements - air travel to and from McAllen airport and car travel to and from San Juan.
- Registration: Complete the form below. A $250 non-refundable deposit is required to hold the reservation and is payable with your completed registration form. The balance of $250 is due by March 5, 2018.
Note: We can only accommodate 10 participants
First Name: _____________________Last Name: __________________Email:_______________________
Address: _____________________________________ City/State/Zipcode: _____________________________
Phone No: ________________________ Diocese: ______________________
__ I am A Deacon Send completed form/check
__ A Deacon’s Wife To: Matt Rousso
__ Involved in Parish/Diocesan Ministry 7730 Walmsley Ave
__ Fluent in Spanish (not a requirement) New Orleans, LA 70125
More Information? 504-866-8516 or 504-376-4142 (cell)