The latest news about the Maryknoll Affiliates
It is very exciting to share with you that Maryknoll Affiliate (DC Chapter) Marie Dennis, co-president of Pax Christi International, has been nominated for the 2016 Public Peace Prize. This prize is the only one in the world that is based on the public's choices. “The mission of the Public Peace Prize is to foster greater recognition for peacemakers and peace initiatives around the world by the general public: on local, national and international levels.”
The voting is open until January 24, 2016.
Many of us in Maryknoll know of Marie's life-long commitment to issues of peace and justice. Here is what Pat Gaffney had to say: “Marie Dennis brings a spirituality to her approach to peacework that helps to connect people around the world – seeking to find common approaches to active nonviolence and peacemaking and to celebrate these.” – Pat Gaffney, Pax Christi UK
We hope you'll take a few moments today to vote for Marie for this prestigious award and help lift up her work and the work of Pax Christi International. There are three ways to vote in support of Marie -- via the Public Peace Prize website, their Facebook page and on Twitter.
Maryknoll Affiliate Chapter Chicago Central is in this month's "Chapter Spotlight" on the website. See it at: maryknollaffiliates.org/chapters/location.html
Photo - Dan Maloney and Celine Woznica participating in a Chicago gun violence prevention rally. "Chuck's" is a bad-apple gun dealer.
Chapter contact person, Celine Woznica writes of the Chapter: "Our monthly meetings begin with a prayer and end with a potluck meal. We are not project-oriented, but rather look for engaging in relationships with others to build global vision and cooperate in action for the common good. This engagement reflects the many diverse –and often geographically distant - circles in which our individual Chapter members live and work towards social justice. Two of our members visit detained undocumented immigrants at a state prison northwest of Chicago, near their home but far from the other Affiliates live. At other times, we join together to support a particular Affiliate’s efforts, such as providing meals for new recruits attending training to become Christian Peacemakers where one of the Affiliates worked. Other times we join forces as a Chapter to promote and uphold Maryknoll’s mission, as when we support the Chinese priests and sisters participating in the Maryknoll China Project and studying at local universities, or staff Maryknoll-sponsored events at nearby Catholic Theological Union. Individual members work passionately on certain issues, such as gun violence prevention, with other organizations but meet up at rallies and actions."
The Consensus Action Statements from the 2015 October Board Meeting Follow.
Maryknoll Affiliate Board
Consensus Statements and Action Items
Meeting #56 October 25-27, 2015
1) Dave and Paula Schaffner will write an Executive Summary of the survey results.
2) Members of the Board will form working groups to develop three broad areas that emerged as a result of the survey. They may invite others to work with them (see minutes for more detail on the groups’ purview).
a. Communications: Rich, Bob, and Paula (Communications Cmte, NSFA)
b. Connection: Rich, Russ, Nori, and Margo.
1. Youth (subtopic): Rich, Patty S.
c. Growth and Sustainability: Bill, Teruko, and Bob
1. Spirtuality (subtopic): Bill, Teruko, Bob
3) The Board will have a conference call during the third week of January. The purpose of the call is to report on the progress of the three committees formed to address responses to the survey (consensus item #2) and discern the direction of the committees’ work.
4) The Board agreed to finance an annual website consultant fee of $1800 to provide ongoing technical support to Bob for the Affiliate website.
5) Two new Board members were selected for terms beginning at the April 2016 meeting: Ginny McEvoy and Gerry Mullaney. A third person will be invited to consider serving.
6) By strong consensus, Dave Schaffner was selected as the new Chair of the Board.
7) The Board affirmed that the committee charged with rewriting the Affiliate Organization Document (Mary M, Joe S, Ann C) had enough information to proceed with their revisions. An updated draft will be reviewed at the April 2016 meeting for approval.
You can have the other words-chance, luck, coincidence, serendipity. I'll take grace. I don't know what it is exactly, but I'll take it. (“Sand Dabs, Five” by Mary Oliver)
It is probably neither wise nor possible to measure what is most important in life. Still, what follows recounts a bit of what took place in the Affiliate World over 2015. I recognize that most Affiliate activity (quietly and sometimes with a bang) takes place on the local level in Chapters. Hopefully this will provide a glimpse of some key happenings.
· Regional Conferences – two very successful conferences took place in August:
o Seattle, WA - Love in Action – Mission on the Margins
o Green Lake, WI - Renewing the Joy of Mission—Shifting Into the Future
· Affiliate Survey – over 80 Affiliates completed the survey. It will be of great help in bettering present efforts and in setting future directions. Board member Richard Lessard led this effort.
· Deaths – Marie Parmly (Northeast, FL) and Ronni Gilligan (Long Island, NY) passed on to new life. Many Maryknoll Brothers, priests, Sisters and perhaps other Affiliates of whom we are not aware also passed on in 2015.
o Ann Carr – Ann made very significant contributions in her six years of committed service and completed her term in the fall
o Dave Schaffner – who has served on the board for several years overseeing finance, has stepped in as Board Chair.
o Fr. Russ Feldmeier of the Society and Sisters Norie Mojado and Teruko Ito of the Congregation joined the Affiliate Board as they assumed leadership roles in their respective communities. Margo Cambier of the MKLM remains on the Board.
o Bill Murphy (Greater Boston Chapter) joined the Board in the spring
o Gerry Mullaney (Northeast, OH) & Ginny McEvoy (Long Island, NY) were invited to the Board in the fall and will attend their first meeting in April 2016.
o Jerrie Drinkwine, Regional Coordinator (RC) for the Northwest Region stepped down in the fall. Thank you Jerrie for many years for your creative insights and dedicated service.
o Janet Quillan and Ralph Maughan – will be the new RCs for the Northwest. Both have already given years of mission service.
· JML (Joint Meeting of Leadership) – Affiliates were invited to participate on this leadership body along with the MKLM, Congregation and Society.
· Database Update - a database review of all 57 national/international Chapters revealed that there are a little over 700 active Affiliates.
· Just Faith Ministries – Beth Begley continues as our representative/liaison to this successful parish-based social justice ministry. Thanks Beth!
· Third Wave – this developing initiative started by Fr. Gerry Kelly MM to the (10’s of thousands) of students and parishioners who go on short-term immersion trips every year is, like Just Faith, an area where Affiliates could have significant involvement. Bob Short is on the Third Wave Board.
· Formation – thanks to John Moritz and his team of Agnes Walsh, Ann Carr and Bob Short, the initial formation program and process has been significantly renewed to meet the needs of future and present Chapters. See the program on the website at: http://maryknollaffiliates.org/our-story/1208-initial-formation.html
· New Chapters – two new Chapters in Bolivia – Misión Vida (Cochabamba) and Renacer Misionero (Santa Cruz) were recognized in 2015. Four additional Chapters could come on board in 2016: in the Philippines, Peru, Bolivia and Toledo, OH.
o Newsletters – “Not So Far Afield” (NSFA) and “No Tan Lejos del Horizonte” (NTLH) have been especially important in relaying the stories of who we are, what we do, how we prayer and what we aspire to. Thank you to Paula Schaffner and Mary Ryan-Hotchkiss of NSFA and Rosa Beatriz Castañeda de Larios, Ceci Garcés, Ann Lucia Ramazzini and Lizbeth Gramajo of NTLH for their great work!
o Website - <maryknollaffiliates.org> is one of our primary ways of communication. Please consider registering to Login for access to all areas.
o Orbis Books – a new list of Orbis books is posted each month. See Orbis e-news in the Quick Links under the NEWS tab on the website: http://maryknollaffiliates.org/developing-global-consciousness/orbis-books.html
o Living Into a New Consciousness – the Maryknoll Sisters’ Contemplative Community regularly publishes reflective essays under the “Developing Global Consciousness” in the Quick Links side-bar under the HOME tab.
o Spotlight – this section on the website features a new Chapter every few months. To date, Albany, Houston and Los Angeles Chapters have been featured. Chicago Central will be ‘spotlighted’ next. If you’d like your Chapter to be featured sometime, you only need to submit a few photos and a bit of text to Bob Short.
· U-Lab/Presencing Institute – several Affiliates (and other Maryknollers) have participated in this open access seminar from MIT in Cambridge, MA. It focuses on how to transform business, society and self. Spirituality is a significant component. Maryknoller Gene Toland MM has been with U-Lab for many years.
· Strategic Planning – at the October Board meeting, (1) Communication (2) Connection/Collaboration and (3) Growth & Sustainability were identified as key areas of focus. Further integration of international Chapters were also identified as key.
· Coming in 2016 – (1) a South Central Regional Conference in New Orleans (9/30 – 10/2) Walking Each Other Home—Mission as Accompaniment (2) MAC 2017 in Guatemala – probably in November of 2017. We are very excited about both… as well as much more.·
That’s some of the goings-on in Affiliate land. While we are getting older (about 65 y/o average in the US & 45 y/o average in the international Chapters) our commitment to “the mission goals of Maryknoll” and our passion for mission to the poor and marginalized throughout the world is an urgent need in our world today. That passion cannot be understated.
I’ll end with another quote from Mary Oliver (“The Summer Day”) that is familiar to many of us. It can be understood individually or collectively as an Affiliate movement:
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with
Your one wild and precious Life?
1) The Affiliate Board by consensus has accepted a proposal from the JML that
a. Maryknoll entity member will no longer serve on the Board Executive Committee.
2) Maryknoll entity membership will continue on the Affiliate Board for now. In the Spring of 2016, the Affiliate Board will revisit the issue and consider a process of evaluation of the experience. This Board decision will be communicated back to the JML.
3) MAC 2017-The Affiliate Board strongly affirmed the proposal by the Guatemalan Chapter offering to hold MAC 2017 in Guatemala! Specific details include:
a. An early November 2017 date tbd; Thursday to Sunday time frame
b. The Board will offer a $1000 seed grant to the Guatemalan Chapter
c. The exploratory group of Patty B, Rich, Dave along with Bob will now continue as the Board liaison group to the MAC 2017 Planning Committee named by the Guatemalan Chapter
d. Patty B will communicate some suggested conference themes to the Guatemalan MAC 2017 Planning Committee but they will ultimately decide the theme.
e. The 2017 Board RC Meeting will be linked to the MAC.
4) The Affiliate Board agreed to officially recognize the Cochabamba 2 and Santa Cruz Chapters of Bolivia. Ann C (and Patty B) will write letters to welcome them.
5) Bob will communicate the Board’s decision that our structure and guidelines do not allow for visa sponsorship to the Bolivian Affiliate requesting clarification. The letter will be copied to the Board Executive Committee, Steven Judd, MM and Joseph Fedora, MM and an attached copy of the Affiliate Booklet with relevant documents will be provided.
6) A pdf copy of the Affiliate booklet will be sent out to all Affiliates. Periodically, important parts of the booklet will be sent out via NSFA/NTLH to provide reminders to all Affiliates.
7) A standing agenda item for future Board meetings will be a reporting back for any Board members who have had the opportunity to visit with International Chapters.
8) Affiliate Survey – The Board approved the draft survey presented by Rich from the Survey Committee. Specific next steps include:
a. The Survey will be sent out electronically
b. Latin American Affiliates will have the option of taking the survey
c. A separate communication to Alberto Bailetti, Nino Jesus and Maria Farfan, Peruvian RC, noting an appreciation of their input will be sent by Rich.
d. Hard copies of the survey will be provided to Affiliates who request this. All hard copy data will be entered by Mary Moritz of the Survey Committee with assistance from others as needed.
9) The Board will take a comprehensive view of all job descriptions at the Fall 2015 meeting.
10) Bill Murphy of the Boston Chapter was selected as the newest member of the Board. A letter welcoming Bill will be sent by Mary Massaro and Ann C. There will also be a communication to the other candidates thanking them for their willingness to serve and clarifying that they may be asked to serve in the future as vacancies appear.
11)The Board will authorize Bob to offer up to $2000 to retain Tobias Rinsche, the website designer with whom we have recently contracted, to provide additional support and training for Bob and the Media Committee.
12) Formation- The Affiliate Board affirmed the following:
a. John Moritz’s proposal for the development of a Formation Resources Group involving all four Maryknoll expressions will be taken to the JML by Rich, Ann and Bob.
b. Patty B, the Board Latin American Liaison, affirmed that the five themes of formation are culturally appropriate for the Latin American Affiliates and John will continue to develop materials.
13) Regional Coordinators- The Regional Coordinators, in dialogue with the Board, agreed to work with one another and Bob to:
a. Contact Chapters to encourage participation in the survey once out
b. Develop a plan for twinning with one another
c. Utilize regional conferences for region/community building
d. Spread awareness regarding the Formation materials to the Chapters
14) The Board will continue to write a State of the Heart Letter following each meeting. This will be posted on the website and sent to NSFA/NTLH.
15) A proposal for Affiliate Board Meeting Minute Guidelines was reviewed, edited and adopted by consensus. (See attached document).
P.O. Box 311 Maryknoll, NY 10545-0311
Greetings from the Affiliate Board!
All-powerful God, you are present in the whole universe, and in the smallest of your creatures... We thank you for being with us each day. Encourage us, we pray, in our struggle for justice, love, and peace. —Pope Francis, Laudato Si’ (246)
At our October Affiliate Board meeting, we began sifting through what you said in our survey— 81 of you responded
last summer, providing your insights and wisdom regarding the Affiliate movement. Based upon our initial
review, three board committees were established—communications, sustainability/growth, and connection. Down the road you will be hearing more as the committees take action on these issues.
Inspired in so many ways by Pope Francis’ recent visit to Cuba and the U.S., we learned what is really meant by the phrase, “walking the talk.” It is heartening to see the many ways our fellow Affiliates respond to that call to mission. We feel good being connected to all of the Affiliates who see Jesus in the poor and marginalized. This connection happens through communication: regional and international conferences, immersion trips, retreats, and, of course, our own chapter meetings. But the mortar between all these opportunities is the communication network supported by your contributions.
As always, we thank the Maryknoll Fathers & Brothers, Sisters, and Lay Missioners for funding our Executive Coordinator’s salary and benefits. Every item in our operating budget (for which the Affiliates are responsible) relates to keeping us connected by newsletter, website, and our Executive Coordinator’s telephone and in-person networking. We host the Board/Regional Coordinator meetings (attendees travel to the meetings at their own expense), and fund modest scholarships to international Affiliate conferences to enhance our movement-wide connections. The price tag for all this? It’s almost a miracle of the loaves and fishes that all this is accomplished for under $30,000 a year.
Over the past few years we have been happy to report to you that our fund-raising goal (our operational budget) has been met and surpassed. While this accomplishment has been
gratifying, it was largely due to a few very large contributions. Also, the number of individual Affiliates contributing declined from 2013 to 2015.
In our individual and chapter efforts to “walk the talk,” we’ll do better if we can hear “the talk”! We need to be inspired by the actions of others, learn more about the needs of
We also invite you to help make the“talk” happen by doing your part to fund this effort. Ideally, all Affiliates will contribute, as they are able. The enclosed giving form offers alternatives: a one-time donation or periodic contributions, either from a checking account or by credit card. We urge you to contribute today. However, if you are unable to make a monetary contribution at this time, you can always help through prayer and by volunteering your time and talent.
In peace and thanksgiving for the many ways you give.
Maryknoll Affiliate Board Chair
PS. We thank Maryknoll Sisters Ann Hayden, MM, for her poem, “Ancient Paths,” and Pat Emiston, MM, for her painting, “Labyrinth,” on the bookmark enclosed in appreciation for all your contributions as Affiliates.
Maryknoll Affiliate Fall 2015 Appeal – 4014
Please complete the appropriate section and return the form in the envelope provided to:
Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers, PO Box 302, Maryknoll NY 10545-0302
Please make check payable to the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers and write Maryknoll Affiliates Annual Appeal in the memo line of your check.
Contribution from: ________________________________________ Date: _________________________
City: ______________________ State: ___________ Zip/Postal Code: ____________ Country: _______________
Amount: o $25 o $50 o $100 o $200 o Other $__________
Credit Card: o VISA o MasterCard American Express Discover
Name as it appears on card: _________________________________________________________
Card# ___________________________________________________ Expiration Date ___________
You can have donations directly charged to a debit card or credit card or debited from your checking account on a monthly, bimonthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis.
o YES! I would like to make regular automatic transfers to Maryknoll for the Maryknoll Affiliates 4014 Mission Account using my credit or debit card in the amount of $ __________. Should I decide to cancel, I will call Maryknoll. I understand that my donations will be recorded on my statement, which will serve as my receipt.
Debit date is either the 5th or 12th day of the month. Please circle one: 5th or 12th
Your full signature is required here: _______________________________________________________
Please check the giving option you prefer: o Monthly o Bimonthly o Quarterly o Semi-Annually
Name as it appears on card: ________________________________________________________
City ____________________________ State _________________
Zip/Postal Code: __________________ Country: ________________
o VISA MasterCard o American Express o Discover Card # ____________________________________
Expiration Date ________________
I would like to enroll!*
o YES! I would like to make an automatic transfer from my bank account to Maryknoll for the Maryknoll Affiliates 4014 Mission Account in the amount of $ __________. Should I decide to cancel, I will call Maryknoll. I understand that my donations will be recorded on my bank statement, which will serve as my receipt.
Debit date is either the 5th or 12th day of the month. Please circle one: 5th or 12th
Your full signature is required here: ______________________________________________________
Please include voided check along with your donation.
Please check the giving option you prefer: o Monthly o Bimonthly o Quarterly o Semi-Annually
City ____________________________ State ___________________
Zip/Postal Code _________________________ Country: _______________________________
o Through prayer Help edit Not So Far Afield
o Write articles for Not So Far Afield o Any other volunteer work as needed
o Help translate from and to Spanish for our newsletter, web or other documents
o Help update the Maryknoll Affiliate website (articles, news, links, other items of interest)
PO Box 311
Maryknoll NY 10545-0311
State of the Heart Letter: Building Community & Furthering the Dialogue
Maryknoll Affiliate Board Meeting #56
David Schaffner, Board Chair & Ann Carr, Past Board Chair
"How, then, can communication be at the service of an authentic culture of encounter? What does it mean for us, as disciples of the Lord, to encounter others in the light of the Gospel? ... We are called to show that the Church is the home of all. Are we capable of communicating the image of such a Church? Communication is a means of expressing the missionary vocation of the entire Church ...to discover the beauty of faith, the beauty of encountering Christ." Pope Francis Message for 48th World Communication Day 2014
A Different Kind of Board Meeting
As fall leaves of gold, scarlet and orange filled the Hudson Valley, members of the Affiliate Board gathered for our fall Board meeting, October 25-27. Having discerned the need to begin our time together with a Board retreat, we were very blessed to have Jack Sullivan, MM, former Co-Coordinator and long-time companion of the Affiliate movement, as our retreat facilitator. You might ask, why now for a Board retreat? Our hope was to build cohesion among us as a group in order to develop our capacity to listen more deeply and to serve the entire Affiliate movement. Jack began our day with a beautiful meditative slide show, "In the Name of All That Is We Come Together," and challenged us to consider the call to create a leadership of the whole. This model of mission leadership, being explored throughout the Maryknoll world and beyond, invites all of us into a new way of being. Jack shared with us that a crucial first step in wholemaking is to move from discussion to dialogue. Dialogue requires that we become aware of our assumptions, examine them and move beyond individual understanding to group exploration from many points of view. When done authentically, dialogue invites us into mystery and allows us to get closer to that which is transformative.
The Maryknoll Mission Institute Advisory Board met last week. Beth Begley is a member on behalf of the Affiiates. Plans for the coming year once again offer outstanding speakers (https://maryknollsisters.org/events/category/mission-institute-programs/) and Affilates are most welcome.
Sr. Peg Donovan, Director has recorded the M.I. program on “Compassion: Witness to Love” given by Sr. Nonie Gutzler, President of the Maryknoll Sisters. The set of five DVDs is available to Affiliates for $20 plus postage& handling (about $3).
To order, please complete the following information
AFFILIATE CHAPTER __________________________________________________
Maryknoll Mission Institute
Rogers Building (#529)
Maryknoll Sisters Box 311
Maryknoll, NY, USA 10545-0311
Approximately every other month, Sr. Theresa Baldini of the Maryknoll Sisters' Contemplative Community sends us a new "Living into a New Consciousness" reflection. The content varies greatly, but is always insightful, evocative and often beautiful. This month's reflection is on Eucharistic Prayer or Communion Service: Giving Thanks in the 21st Century
You can find the "Living into a New Consciousness" reflection on the opening page of the website under: Developing Global Consciousness in the QUICK LINKS blue box.
Pope Francis has bluntly criticized unbridled global capitalism for causing environmental destruction and tragic consequences for the world's poorest citizens. Click on the video link to see more of with he has to say (note that you might be requested to confirm your local PBS station):
[Marie Dennis, member of the Maryknoll DC Affiliate Chapter and former Executive Director of MOGC appears in the video]
Veronica (Ronni) Gilligan, Contact Person for the Long Island Chapter and dedicated Maryknoll Affiliate for many years passed on peacefully to new life - as Ron Guidry put it - on Saturday evening 8/22.
In an email on Monday Jack Sullivan MM wrote of Ronni:
I was shocked and saddened to learn of Ronni's death when I opened my email just a while ago. I worked with Ronni when I was first with the Affiliates as Co-coordinator with Fred Goddard and Janet Srebalus; Ronni was a member of the Affiliate Board then. She was always deeply committed to the Affiliates and to Kin-dom of God values. We all now have a very active member of the "Heaven-Here-and-Now" Chapter. I will be remembering her in memory images, prayer and Eucharist.
She is not "resting" but very much ALIVE in peace...Jack Sullivan
From Agnes Walsh
Veronica(Ronni) Gilligan, contact person for the Long Island Affiliate Chapter was admitted to a Hospice House on August 13th. Ronni requested prayers so it would be a source of comfort and consolation for her to know that Maryknoll Affiliates across the land are praying with her at this time.
In the July/ August 2015 Not So Far Afield Newsletter John Moritz (Regional Coordinator with his wife Mary from Florida) agreed with Steve Judd, MM that there are three traditional traits that characterize Maryknoll Spirituality and Maryknollers - affability, availability & adaptability. Ronni attracted people because of her affability, availability,and adaptability.
Please pray for Ronni
FROM FR. GENE TOLAND:
FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN TAKING THE MIT ON LINE COURSE, U.LAB 2.0 , Transformation of Business, Society, and Self , THAT BEGINS ON SEPTEMBER 10TH.
Everyone please note - yes, you do have to register for the new U.Lab course. Otherwise you will not receive any email updates about U.Lab, nor will you be able to access any of the new videos (including a whole module on SPT - which we're really excited about!).
You can register here: https://www.edx.org/course/u-lab-transforming-business-society-self-mitx-15-671x