Buen Vivir—“living in harmony and equilibrium with the cycles of Mother Earth, the cosmos, and life in all its forms,” caused me to reflect on Lent in some different ways. This Lent, we might do a few things to connect with all creation:
• Take a walk at least once a week and appreciate the beauty of nature—listen and let it speak to your heart.
• Connect with an Affiliate you don’t know well—if possible, someone outside your own country.
• Read a book and reflect/pray on our connection with all life. Check out Orbis books (http://www.orbisbooks.com) for some ideas.
• Make it a point to use that leftover food and be conscious of not wasting.
• Try a vegetarian life-style, if possible during all of Lent, or at least more often than on Fridays.
• Fast more frequently, in varying degrees: skip lunch and send the money saved to Maryknoll projects.
• Contact your state/local representatives and stand up against injustice. Many issues are described at the Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns, maryknollogc.org.
• Read NSFA or NTLH cover to cover, and pray for those mentioned.
• Volunteer at a homeless shelter or food pantry/outreach program in your area.
May some of these ideas, and other ways you think of to connect with creation during Lent, bring a sense of new life to you this Easter.