What do orange water, coal dust, and American chestnut tree seedlings have to do with Pope Francis’ Encyclical Letter Laudato Si?
Join the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers from August 5-9 on our annual immersion trip/pilgrimage to the holy land of Appalachia to find out.
This 5-day immersion trip, in collaboration with Glenmary missioner Father John Rausch, who has lived and ministered in Appalachia for decades and is an expert on the issues there, includes:
- Pre-trip orientation and post-trip debriefing
- On-site introduction to the cultural, economic, and spiritual realities in Appalachia from leaders of the community
- Areas demonstrating the effects of mining, and mining reclamation
- Practical simplicity: living off of the grid
- Opportunities to learn from community redevelopment projects
- Visit to a church-inspired health clinic which treats the uninsured of the region
Estimated cost: $650.00 This includes room, breakfasts, lunches and transportation. Dinners are the responsibility of the participants. We will begin the trip in Lexington, Kentucky, and travel through the nearby Appalachian region.Participants are responsible for their travel to and from Lexington, KY