Looking forward to 2018, we are continuing to ask, “Where do we want to be in five years?” At our combined Board/Regional Coordinator meeting in Guatemala City, we appointed an ad hoc committee—Rich Lessard, Albany; John and Mary Moritz, Northeast Florida; Bob Short, Executive Coordinator; and hopefully one international representative—to develop four topics identified at the Guatemala City meeting: collaboration, identity, international cross-cultural aspects, and models.
At the Fall 2018 Board/RC meeting, we will use these topics to develop initiatives and suggest actions for Affiliates. In the meantime, many chapters have used the September/October NSFA “Easy Meeting” to brainstorm the future direction(s) of the Affiliates. If it hasn’t done so yet, I encourage your chapter to try this process.
Comings and Goings:
- We welcome our newest chapter, Springfield, MA, to the Affiliate family. Deacon Kevin McCarthy provided leadership in the formation and recognition process.
- Sadly, the NYC Subway chapter, one of the earliest founded, has decided to disband.
- Lee Fermin, Las Vegas chapter, accepted the position of Regional Coordinator for the Mountain/Southwest Region. Lee has served a couple of stints on the board, and we appreciate his willingness to rejoin the leadership team.
- Two Board members, Patty Barneond, Guatemala, and John Meyer, Phoenix, both serving six years, rotated off the board. We thank both for their contributions over the past six years and hope to have some prospective new board members to announce in the near future.
- Your generosity in responding to our annual appeal keeps our basic operational budget stable but also allows us to pursue special initiatives, such as assisting Board members who could not otherwise afford to travel to Board meetings. Finance Chair Manny Hotchkiss sent out this year’s appeal letter in November. If it’s lost in your holiday mail, perhaps it is not too late to dig it out.
Blessings on your new Affiliate year!