This issue illustrates that as Maryknoll Affiliates, global vision informs and influences our response to problems. We salute the Affiliates and Maryknollers in the Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons. Our global vision teaches us that wars and nuclear weapons not only threaten the warring countries, but as President Eisenhower stated in the 1950s,”Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger…” This NSFA offers a Pax Christi prayer to aid reflection on the UN Nuclear Weapon Treaty and on the US role with nuclear weapons stealing from the hungry and the poor.
Kevin Foy’s global vision, developed overseas and in the southern US, leads him to recognize and address racism at home. Marie Venner stresses the urgency of doing something about climate change since the contribution from highly industrialized areas such as the US disproportionately impacts low-lying or poor countries.
Articles in this issue:
- ICAN Wins Nobel Peace Prize
- Our Cup is Full
- Renewable Energy—A Simple 1-2-3
- 5 Things Christian Mission Teaches Me About Confronting Racism
- Prayer for International Acceptance of the Nuclear Ban
- The Catholic Church Moves Towards Nonviolence?
- Caring for Refugees and Immigrants
- I Was an Alien and You Welcomed Me
- A Report on Pace e Bene’s Campaign Nonviolence Event
From the Board and Executive Coordinator: