Chicken, Avocado, and Wild Rice Salad
- 3 cups cooked wild rice (that’s about 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 large avocado
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 4 scallions (white and some of the green part), coarsely chopped
- 12 pitted black olives, sliced
- 3 cups bite-size pieces of cold poached chicken breast, cubed (I poached in combo of white wine, water, and a splash of apple juice)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon-style mustard
- ½ cup light vegetable oil (I used canola oil and only about ⅓ cup)
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 T chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup slivered almonds or pine nuts, toasted
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Refrigerate wild rice until cold.
- Peel the avocado and slice lengthwise into 1/2 inch strips. Coat with lemon juice and refrigerate until well chilled.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the scallions, olives, chicken, and rice. Toss gently just until mixed.
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar, mustard, oil, sugar, and parsley. Whisk together vigorously until completely combined.
- Just before serving, add the avocado to the chicken/rice mixture. Pour on dressing and toss gently. Serve sprinkle with nuts and tomatoes.
Contributed by Lynn M Brysacz From Chicken Breasts by Diane Rozas